Monday, October 4, 2010

Prepare for the eventual let down....

On Monday the 27th I couldn't have been happier they ran antibiotics, did blood tests and told us that everything was trending in the right direction. His wound started to look a lot better and I thought we were in the clear. We went to clinic on Wednesday and that blood test showed that things were still going in the direction that we wanted them too and the wound team looked under his bandage and said that it looked really good. They said that I wouldn't need to change the bandage until we came in the following Wednesday but gave me an extra bandage, just in case. The cardiologist told us we could just do oxygen at night and that he could stop taking lasix. 

This is the point where I get my hopes up and start to think that everything is going the way it's supposed to.

Then of course on Thursday Broderyck started acting really uncomfortable again, crying and not wanting to be put down. I figured he just was still sore from surgery and didn't mind holding him almost constantly. Saturday his bandage was about 3/4 saturated and I decided to change it, then that night he started breathing heavier and running a fever. Sunday morning his second bandage was completely saturated to the point that it was falling off.
I called the hospital and they said that since it was Sunday that we'd need to come tot he Emergency Room but the Cardiothoracic Nurse Practitioner would meet us there. We switched the bandage once more and I packed a bag and we headed on our way. When we got to the hospital the Nurse Practitioner looked at his wound and knew it was bad, and the admission process started again...

for the 3rd time

They starting running antibiotics again and determined they were going to do exploritory surgery to see how deep the infection is. They switched the time a couple times today and had to run some IV fluids and do a blood transfusion before they could take him back to the OR.

They took him back around 6:30pm and it's now 10:15. They had a hard time finding veins for an IV because he's been so picked on by the lab that he's running out of good veins. Last I heard was that it was a really deep infection and that they had to take the wires out of this chest to be able to clean out his chest better. 
After this surgery he will go back to the CICU and be back on a ventilator. I really hoped that it was going to be a simple fix and I am praying that when they fix this that Broderyck will be able to go home and be a normal baby...

he is supposed to be learning to smile and roll over...not spending 1/3 of his life in the hospital.

The Nurse Practitioner just came and gave us an update. She said that it just didn't look as healthy as it should. They cleaned his chest out with antibacterial fluid and will put a wound vac on for a couple days and put a chest tube back in.

Please let this be it...
The OR nurse is supposed to call if the surgeon can't call us before 11:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment